Monday, July 25, 2011

Cupcake Wedding Cakes

Hello!

So, there will be many posts in the following days, as I've just come back from a wonderful weekend at a friend's wedding, and I have a lot of new ideas!

But today, I just want to talk about wedding cakes - specifically wedding cakes made of cupcakes! I think this is an excellent idea. With the right batter and frosting, cupcakes are some of the most delicious little bites of heaven. They are incredibly convenient for the wedding, so everyone can just grab a bite, and if you want to still have the "cutting the cake" moment, you can do what many of these people did, and have a normal cake on top with cupcakes around the bottom. Some of the best cupcakes I've ever had were at Georgetown Cupcake, which I HIGHLY recommend. If you are ever in the DC area, go and snag a few to taste.

NOTE: I was perusing some cupcake wedding cake blog posts this evening, and I found a really neat tip from a chic who did the cupcake wedding cake herself - she went to a glass shop and got a quote for an 18", 16", 14", 12", 10", 8" and 6" round 1/8" thick round glass cut with polished edges. She was quoted at $27! She went to a local hobby store and bought some crystal candle sticks to put together the layers (the candle sticks were about $1 apiece), and she estimates the tiers will hold about 100 regular cupcakes when done. She's using trimmed down doilies to put around the cupcakes, but I know you can buy a whole bunch of cupcake "collars" from those Oriental Trading websites for pretty cheap as well. Here is a link for 24 of them for $3. There is an excellent article about assembling a tiered cupcake wedding cake here.

Here are some nifty pictures of cupcake wedding cakes.


















This amazing cupcake wedding cake inspired the tiered cupcake cake example mentioned at the end of blog post above. I just love the cherry-blossom looking design on the top wedding cake! I also love how in the interpretation (see the linked article about assembling a tiered cupcake cake) they placed all the little cupcakes around the base.

No comments:

Post a Comment